Click Here to open and print the following discussion questions in document form.
Lula Bell on Geekdom, Freakdom & the Challenges of Bad Hair
1. Who was your favorite character and why?
2. What do you think motivated Kali to torment Lula Bell? Do wolves have something to teach us about the way to handle this type of situation? How would you react if you were being picked on by a classmate?
3. What did you think about Lula Bell giving Grandma Bernice’s quilt to Kali? Would you have done the same thing? Why or why not?
4. Do you believe Kali can or will change? Is it possible that she could grow up to be a nice person?
5. Lula Bell wasn’t always nice; were you bothered by the way she treated Alan throughout most of the story? Why do you think Alan was so determined to remain Lula Bell’s friend?
6. There are nice nerds like Alan at every school. Are you friends with any of them?Why or why not?
7. Why do you think most of us try so hard to fit in? Do you think Grandma Bernice was right when she said that we’re “made to stand out”? If that’s true, then why is it so difficult for most of us?
8. Why do you think girls/women spend so much time trying to change or “improve” their looks? Have you ever done anything silly in an effort to change or “improve” your looks?
9. Do you believe that Uncle Cleburne saw Grandma Bernice, as he claimed, in his last seconds of life? Why or why not?
10. Do you agree with Grandma Bernice when she says we should always leave a place nicer than we found it? If so, what are some ways that you might do this?